Friday, September 23, 2011

Lunch Break!

We're half way through the first of two days on SIG (School Improvement Grant) inservice.  The rest of the staff attended another inservice a few weeks ago when I had to be in Nome for an Early Childhood Education inservice.  It's quite an involved process as we also have a collaborative meeting on these issues every Wednesday.

Way to go, Alaska!  With NCLB rules and regulations, AK is recognizing that ALL teachers and staff members are working together for the good of the kids.  Merit pay and recognition are looked upon as something EVERYONE deserves and staff members are not pitted against each other.  There's a lot of teamwork going on up here....pretty impressive.  I feel fortunate to have continued my teaching career up here.

The sun is out and the sky is blue.  Those of you who know me....yup, I'm carrying my sunglasses around. It's too bright for me!  But I'm not complaining.....because I know what's just around the corner up here....dark, cold, snowy days!

Let's see....I was going to add to my blog from last night covering some events of the last month.  I've already mentioned the fall colors in the tundra.  Did I mention how quickly the weather changes up here and that with daily flights in and out of the village, some people easily get stuck for another day waiting for the fog or wind to clear?  We had an incredible amount of wind in the village recently that lasted for a couple days.  Sand drifts in front of the entrance to our building were quite common.  So was sand between my toes....sand in my ears.....sand in my hair....sand, sand, everywhere!  Then came the fog.....and the District ECE coach, Julie (love her, love her, love her), was delayed in leaving.  It's typical how quickly the weather changes.

I was walking home recently and passed a dead seal on cardboard in someone's "yard".  It had been skinned and was there waiting for the rest of the butchering process.  I also passed a couple of ladies cutting up two caribou.  The men do the hunting....the women do the processing.  At one home as I entered, there were three dead ducks waiting to be plucked and prepared.  It's interesting to see all that.  I think I may have pointed out that having food available is not as simple as driving down to Glen's Market.  It's quite a process and requires a great deal of time and effort.  My students are excited to tell me when "Papa got a caribou!" or "Daddy shot three ducks!"

Carvings....I've bought some beautiful ivory and whalebone pieces recently.  The artwork in Shishmaref is really unique and well done.  I hope to purchase some additional pieces for myself and for Christmas gifts soon.  People will meet you in the village and offer their work or they knock on your door at home.

I've been looking online trying to decide what to buy for my winter jacket and bibs.  I'm having a difficult time because of the length of my arms and legs....and the..."roundness" of my body!  I want to get something that will definitely keep me warm....I'm being warned about the conditions!

Got to go....next session is about to begin....I'm not even going to check my spelling!  TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment