Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Well, I'll Be Darned!

Wednesday, September 12...."It's Wednesday!  It's Wednesday....the middle of the week!  It's Wednesday!  It's Wednesday....we're almost at the peak!"  Ah, yes....from my days back in East Jordan.  I sing that now with my Alaskan students!

Hmmm.....I am not sure what happened but I FINALLY had time to log onto my blog and saw the post from back in July.  Hmmm....again!  I KNOW I typed something up in August....because I wanted to be sure to get at least one post on here each month.  But I don't see it.  It must be floating out in cyberspace, I guess.  Oh, well....

So, it's now September 12, 2012.  I am currently sitting in my third grade classroom and it's 9:00 p.m.  I cannot stay here long because.....well....here's my next adventure.....

Brown bears have meandered onto the island lately.  In fact, just a few nights ago, a bear walked past my house and down Front Street which goes down past Nayokpuk General Store and towards the school.  It happened around 1:30 in the morning.  Darn!  I was still awake at that point....it was a Friday night and I stayed up late working on trying to balance my Michigan checkbooks (God forbid!) and then reading before turning out my light.  But I never saw anything....never suspected anything....until I heard the news the next day.  I believe it's been the third brown bear on the island in as many weeks.  It's not a safe situation.  Men with their guns have been heading down to the channel leading to the mainland to watch for bears trying to cross.  It appears that some may be chasing a momma with cubs.  I have also heard that there may be a beached whale along the coastline that is drawing LOTS of bears....who are now deciding to wander off towards Shishmaref.

I refuse to become bear bait!!!  Thus, I am trying to get home before dark as we are all being warned to do.  It's really sort of scary.  This morning, my housemate and I heard lots and lots of barking all around the village.  That was it.  We called another teacher who lives just across the road from us and begged a ride to school on her 4-wheeler.  I wish we'd had a picture taken....a total of four grown women on one four-wheeler....looking out in all directions on the way to school!!  We made it safely to school.

Since my previous August post apparently didn't get published, here's a quick (because I refuse to stay here at school much longer) rundown of what has happened since my return to Shishmaref....oh, gosh....I can hear a dog howling....it's ok....it's ok....I'm ok....it'll be ok....

On August 5, my daughter, Jessica, and I arrived in the village after spending a few delightful days in Anchorage and Nome.  We were both so impressed with the beautiful landscape that we encountered south of Anchorage.  Just gorgeous....absolutely stunning....whew!

It was raining when we got off the plane in Shishmaref.  As I recall, it was raining last year, too, when I arrived for my first time.  The folks in the village told me it's been a very rainy summer.  As for the current weather....yes, it's getting cooler and the days are getting shorter.  A couple days ago, I did see frost on the ground.  I can't say "frost on the pumpkin" because there are no pumpkins or gardens up here....the growing season is way too short and the permafrost makes growing gardens difficult.  Anyway, there's no snow on the island....yet.  I did hear that there was snow up on Ear Mountain across the lagoon on the mainland.  I don't think it stayed long.  But....as you all know....this is Alaska and we're just south of the Arctic Circle....it won't be long.  Last year there was snow for Halloween.

Jessica thoroughly enjoyed her visit to Shishmaref.  I was glad she could be here to see where "Mom works and lives" a good portion of the year.  One of the things she kept saying was, "These people...they are so beautiful!"  It's true....the shapes of their faces, their deep brown eyes and dark hair....their bronze skin color.  But then there are beautiful people all over the world.  People are pretty cool!!!

I was so thankful that Jess was with me because when we arrived and entered my house....hmmmm.  Let's just say the custodians had done what they could to clean up after the house repairs that took place this summer.  I am not blaming them for the condition in which I found the house.  Jess and I spent a few days washing walls, cupboards and dishes....getting the drywall dust off everything.  I still opened a box just a couple days ago to find drywall pieces and plywood splinters in it.  A bit discouraging!  I suppose I should be grateful because we do have some updates in our house now.  I am still hoping for a bedroom door though at some point!

Jess left on August 11....amidst the tears of "The Mom."  That was tough.  But I am so glad she was able to come.  Next is my son's turn and he's hoping to come up in May.

Speaking of my son....Dan....he has walked over 2060 miles on the Appalachian Trail and has less than 120 miles to go.  He has had quite the adventure himself and he does have an online trail journal that you can follow.  But you'd better check it out soon because he is just about to the end.  I so wish I could be there on the top of Mt. Katahdin in Maine to congratulate and hug him.  What an accomplishment....especially when you consider his bout with Lyme's Disease, bears, aggressive snakes, and....his SVT (heart problems) which drew out the New Hampshire rescue squad.  The link to his journal is:  http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=370456

I have already had the opportunity to purchase some local crafts.  But let it be known!  This year I will not be able to buy as much as I did last year.   This lady has some hefty bills to get whittled down from Michigan!

My school year began on August 13 when the staff flew to Stebbins for a week-long inservice.  We slept on cots in classrooms and worked long days (7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.).  We got back to Shishmaref on Friday, August 17.  Those of you who know me know that I then headed to my classroom where I worked until 1:00 a.m. many a night.  There wasn't a bear scare yet!!  Our first day with students was on August 27.  I am teaching third grade this year and I'm really quite excited about that.  That was my niche back in East Jordan even though I had taught every grade from preschool through sixth grade throughout my 30+ years.

I have 21 students in my class this year....oops....20!  We have already lost one to Anchorage.  I have an "intern" in my room this year....which back home is the same thing as a "student teacher."  Stacey is WONDERFUL and I love having her in my classroom.  She's a natural when it comes to teaching.  She is originally from Shishmaref and is currently living with her parents.  Her husband will be joining them soon from Shaktoolik.  They have two beautiful little boys.  I also have a great para-pro (classroom assistant) working with us (DeeAnn) and I would say we are all having a pretty good time so far.  I will admit that I'm up to my eyebrows in work right now....just trying to get a grip on the new curriculum and grading procedures and such.  But hey!  I HAVE worked on a Smart Board for the very first time in my career.  Every classroom has one!

Well, folks....I'm going to end for now....because it's getting darker outside and I really am serious about the bear business.  It's nothing to fool around with.  We are keeping our outside porch door unlocked for easy entry should we or anyone else have to make a quick get-away.  It's common practice up here to leave the cunituck...qunituq (Arctic entryway)...however it's spelled...unlocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment