Monday, November 14, 2011

Almost Done for the Night!

I promised myself I would go home EARLY tonight....ha!  It's going on 11:00 p.m.  Oh, well....I wanted to get caught up on my blog.

First of all, school was dismissed early today.  There was a funeral in the village for one of the well-known Elders...rest in peace and my condolences to the family and friends.  When there's a funeral, school usually lets out early so that people can attend.  I've heard that funerals can also last several hours with lots of story-sharing and singing.  That must be so comforting to the families.  People often gather to sing at the family's home the night before, too.

There was also a staff meeting later today and at the end of the meeting, we were treated to Subway sandwiches flown in from Nome.  Tonight was my scheduled laundry night but I didn't have much to do so I skipped it and took a shower instead.....both events take place here at the school....so I had to plan what to carry to school this morning before I left.  Anyway, because I was here at the school, I decided to figure out this blogging business because I had some time and this is where I can get onto the Internet.

Oh, wait a minute!  Let me elaborate on my laundry night....because, as most of you know...I ALWAYS have a story to tell!  I didn't have much laundry tonight because I had a tub load to do last Monday night.  And why, pray tell, would I have a TUB load?  Because last week, immediately following the house blessing with Pastor Mark that FINALLY took place after three postponements, I got violently ill.  I don't know if Pastor knows that or not....someone can tell him if they read this....but reassure him it had nothing to do with his blessing!  But let me tell you....getting sick...from BOTH ends....is NOTHING TO DO OVER A HONEY BUCKET....EGADS!  Oh, man....it was wicked!  I missed two days of school (thank you, Mary, for subbing for me).  The thing is...up here in the village....something like that travels from one end of the village and back again.  You just can't avoid getting sick.  It just compounds the agony when you have to use a honey bucket though!  And you can now guess why I had so much laundry to do last week, too....including the bathroom rug!!

I warned you....I always have a story to tell.

To my Michigan friends....I am missing the fall leaves a lot!  I am on my third jigsaw puzzle....and it's of the Tahquamenon Falls in the Upper Peninsula.  My first puzzle (pictured below) was the one given to me by the Steneks for watching their children when Mom and Dad were in Nome....waiting for #6 to be born.  Let me tell you....it was NOT an easy puzzle to put together.  Talk about snow blindness!  I'm hoping to see a real polar bear up here....from a distance....a LONG distance!


That's all, folks!  I'm headed home!  Take care and keep me posted on life in the Lower 48.  Remember....you can contact me on Facebook or email me at 
(dmb52@sbcglobal.net) or (dmb52@hotmail.com). 
HAPPY THANKSGIVING...just in case I don't get back on here for awhile....and at the rate I am blogging, you won't see me for another month.  I'm sure I'll have lots to tell you about Thanksgiving in Shishmaref.  They have a community dinner, I'm told, and it's my plan to make pumpkin rolls....eat your hearts out, East Jordan Elementary Staff...wish I could send some to you!  I am also looking forward to Christmas up here because the Eskimo games held between Christmas and New Year's are really awesome....so I'm told.  You can bet I'll be on here to tell you all about it.  
I've already put up my Christmas lights in my windows at home.  I can't wait!

TTFN! 
 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Donna! Love your blog...can't wait for the next post...tho I know I may have to! :-) Take care up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,

    It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting here drinking coffee and catching up on your blog. Miss you a lot, but I know that you're where you're suppose to be right now. I love how it seems that you are connecting with the locals...enjoy! Makes me miss Ethiopia and P.N.G.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete