Monday, January 2, 2012

Homesick!

It's just after midnight so it's January 2 now.  I am watching "The Weather Channel" and the big news is the blizzard hitting Northern Lower Michigan....and Charlevoix County was outlined with the white bands of snow covering it....right over EAST JORDAN.  Whoohoo!  SNOW DAY!  Should I call you in the morning, Mary?

No, I'm not really homesick but it did bring a smile to my face to see the weather map.  By the way, you Wisconsin folks....there's NO WAY your state looks like a mitten!  What are you thinking?  I can say that because my sister and her husband live in Wisconsin.  I should go bug Bob about that....he's one of our teachers and lives in the attached unit to the house I'm currently in....and he's from Wisconsin.

If anyone is interested in what's happening weather-wise right now in Shishmaref, Ken sent this report to me a few hours ago...."Airport weather station is reporting -33 with a -48 windchill."


I wanted to post last night's final events for Christmas Week...

What a different New Year's Eve celebration....one I've never experienced before.  We were all in the gym for the awards ceremony for that day's races.  Following that, thank you gifts were given to this year's marshals.  Wow!  They were given many wonderful gifts for a job well done.  Next, the losers of that day's Eskimo "football" game held outside on the lagoon had to serve cookies, coffee and punch to EVERYONE in the gym.  Then, the women participated in some fun games before the final men's event.  I have to say that if Dad was still alive and here (and young), he would have been right down on the floor trying out many of the men's "feats of strength" that I have seen the last few nights.  He would have loved it.  Last night was the "high kick" and I think the final winner jumped and kicked 76 inches.  A sealskin ball is suspended from the ceiling and as the participants compete, it is raised.  They must jump and kick the ball with both feet.  People in the bleachers donate money to the pot....I think it got up over $200 plus a pair of ivory earrings.

This went on and on for a long time.  Just before midnight, lots of people left to watch the fireworks out by the lagoon.  The jumping and kicking continued in the gym until midnight rolled around and the announcer wished everyone a "Happy New Year".  The game was put on hold while EVERYONE in the gym went around shaking everyone's hand and wishing them a "Happy New Year"....no kissing...just a jolly handshake and greeting.  Then the game continued until participants weeded themselves out and one was left.  Up went the cheers and everyone stood for him.  Then we all packed up and went home.

Silly me....I still stayed up though finishing yet another 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and reading more of my Tess Gerritson book.  I finally turned the light off at 4:30 a.m.  I will definitely need to swing that around soon....school is back in session on Wednesday.

Once again, there are pictures posted on my Facebook page and that of Ken Stenek's.  The "high kick" is pretty impressive.  Check it out.

Take care....good luck, Northern Michigan!  Batten down the hatches and haul out the shovels!

No comments:

Post a Comment