Saturday, July 23, 2011

Greetings!  I have created a blog and that, for me, is an accomplishment!  As most of you know, I am about to head out on a long-awaited adventure.  On Friday, July 29th, I will be flying out of Detroit, Michigan and arriving in Anchorage, Alaska later that evening.  I am excited about my stop in Seattle, Washington because I will get to see an old friend, Laurie C.  Laurie and I have not seen each other since we roomed together on our trip to China in 1993 with People to People Citizen Ambassadors.  It was during that trip that I decided someday I wanted to teach in a different cultural setting.  I began checking out teaching in Alaska and received my certification in 2002.  Alas, the move was not meant to be at that time and I had to renew my certification in 2007.  The move was always "there" for me....I never gave up on the dream.  Finally, in June of this year (2011), I retired from the East Jordan Public School after 31 years.  The experiences there could fill a different blog!  Thus, I am now headed to Alaska to begin my next 30 years of teaching!  My message here is to never give up on your dreams.  If it's meant to be, it'll happen.  I have so much more to add here...but it's very late and I have so very much to do yet.  I have four more days left in East Jordan...one in Tecumseh with my daughter, Jessica, and then off to Alaska.  Oh!  Gosh, I forgot to mention the most important point....I am teaching in Shishmaref...just below the Arctic Circle on the west side of Alaska...not far from Russia.  I have some awesome stories to tell you about Shishmaref and how that all came to be.  But for now....welcome to my blog.  I look forward to sharing my experiences with you and keeping in touch with family and friends...and meeting new friends along the way.  TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Donna! Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures! Safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete